Journey to the South


As I approach my 10th year as a resident of the south, there are a few things that come to mind about the transition, all mostly hilarious. As a very sheltered 6th grader, naturally the thought of moving from Michigan to Texas was life-altering and scary. Add on the fact that just about everyone from the north stereotypes Texas as the place where you wear cowboy boots everywhere and ride your horse to school, and you could say I was dreading the move. Thinking back on the last 10 years, I have thought of 10 things that I couldn't be more thankful for, 10 reasons I would never go back north. 
1. The weather, duh. (I can wear shorts on Christmas) 
2. Despite what people say (and the attached photo), no, I do not own a horse nor wear cowboy boots THAT often...
3. Friday Night Lights - there is nothing better than Texas football
4. Southern Hospitality - yes, there is a noticeable difference between the north and the south
5. "Y'all" is so much better than "you guys" 
6. Torchy's Tacos - and every other Tex-Mex restaurant
7. A developed appreciation for adventure and new experiences
8. I met my best friends - cliche, I know, but hard not to think about 
9. Wardrobe - there's no doubt people from the south just simply dress better. 
10. I ended up at UGA, something that I know would not have happened from Michigan....GO DAWGS. 

I'm so glad 6th grade me was wrong!

Comments