Demi Lovato: Simply Complicated

With the exception of a few shows, I absolutely hate reality TV. And, with the exception of a few actors/actresses, artists, etc. I really don't love too many celebrities. I'm crazy, I know, but I have just always hated their sense of entitlement, and often, their ignorance. To me, their sense of entitlement indicates that they have no understanding of what it's like to live otherwise, and their ignorance trivializes bigger issues in the world. While I acknowledge that it's unfair to group all celebrities together, I have been hard pressed to find these exceptions, and disappointed to see how similar so many are. 

Last week, a friend of mine who is a big Demi Lovato fan asked me to watch the new documentary with her. I agreed to watch, out of curiosity more so than expecting to enjoy it, but I absolutely loved it. It brought to light a completely different view of her to me, and I felt guilty for judging the way I previously had. 


I know the reason me and so many others only see the negatives pertaining to celebrities is because of the media. The media is so quick to pick up on alcohol and drug abuse, scandalous relationships, or inappropriate photos leaked. Take, for example, the image below of a People Magazine cover, in which is literally titled "Sex, Lies, & Spies." It's no wonder why I have such a negative attitude towards celebrities, when all I ever see plastered everywhere is how they are screwing up. 

It got me to thinking what my view of things would be if only the media were to use this power they have to depict these celebrities in a positive way, to display their successes over their scandals. Demi's documentary was just that for me, allowing me to gain so much respect for her and her struggles. The bravery she displayed in speaking out about her issues is inspiring, and as such a powerful face to so many young women, she is doing big things for her fans. 

I am curious to see if others follow her lead, and open up about their struggles and how they are working to improve themselves. I believe social has the power and ability to really make an impact on people going through similar things. If only we can work to eliminate magazine covers like the one above, and work to improve and increase the quantity and quality of documentaries and other related mediums as Demi has done. 

I am so glad that I was wrong about Demi Lovato, and I hope to be proven wrong in other ways in the future. 


Comments