5 Reasons to Go Greek


Although I have lived in Dallas for almost 10 years now, my family is originally from suburbs of Detroit, Michigan. My parents, aunts, uncles, and older cousins have all attended college in the north, where Greek life is nothing like it is down south. When I decided I wanted to stay south for school, recruitment was something I started to consider. I was not a legacy anywhere, and nobody I had known was a part of Greek life. In fact, because of the national stereotypes of Greek life, I was hesitant in my decision. I decided to rush because I wanted the opportunity to meet people, as I was coming to school so far from home. Here are 5 reasons why I am so incredibly glad I decided to go Greek. 

1. I have absolutely met my best friends being a part of the Greek community. Not only have I formed lasting friendships with people in my own sorority, but I have met so many people in other organizations as well that have allowed me to grow a larger network here at UGA. 

2. Being a part of Greek life has made this huge school feel a lot smaller. The size of a big state school like UGA is exciting, but it has been nice to have a smaller community to be a part of. Especially as a freshman, it was nice seeing familiar faces around campus. 

3. It has allowed me to get involved on campus. Just as a big state school is intimidating in the sense of meeting people and making friends, it is also near impossible to get involved in other activities because there are so many offered. Between the weekly chapter meetings in which people come speak about various opportunities, to council members helping you get your foot in the door, it has been extremely helpful to connect with people in various other aspects of campus life. 

4. Philanthropy. I have been absolutely amazed by the amounts of money Greek organizations are able to raise every single year for their various organizations. Our community here is large enough to make a huge difference in the Athens/Clarke County area and that's many Greek organizations continue to do. 

5. Sense of Community. I think that another common stereotype is that once people choose a sorority or fraternity, they are only friends with people in those organizations, or they judge/speak poorly about all the other organizations, as if we are all in competition. I have seen the Greek community come together in so many ways over my past 3 years here, between the death of 4 greek women, supporting each other's philanthropy events (especially Greek Grind), etc. We are all supportive of each other, and encourage friendships between organizations. 


Being a part of Greek life is so much more than the social events and friendships that you see as an outsider, or in the stereotypes people talk about. I am so glad that I was wrong about Greek life, and so grateful to be a part of it here at UGA. 

Comments