18 Year Olds Don't Know Everything

There were several things I was unsure of coming into college, but picking my major was never an unknown. After years of sitting in a classroom and learning various versions of math, science, english, and history, I was excited to study something new and interesting, something that I could find a career in. I was the type of person that preferred a career that I was passionate about, over a career that I hated but that I could make a lot of money in. So, as I looked at where I wanted to go and what I wanted to study, I decided on psychology at UGA.

Both of my parents have led very traditional careers in banking, finance, and accounting and naturally did not understand why I would choose to spend 4 years studying psychology, when all it would get me is more school and no guarantee of a job following graduation. I fought back, despite their urge to get me to switch to a business degree. I knew that it was my decision and it was going to be the driving factor in how I would be spending my days after college. But despite my stubbornness, I knew that their thought process had some sense to it, and I started to doubt myself.

Finally, during the summer before my sophomore year, I started contemplating what my other options would be if I did decide to switch to a business degree. I knew my parents were right about salary level post graduation, and the difference between a business degree and a psych degree were fairly large, especially without getting a PhD. I didn't want my parents to be right (obviously, as a college sophomore) but I knew my best option was to switch. I was nervous that I had already wasted a whole year, and very few classes were going to count toward my new major.

I chose to study marketing within the business school because it allowed me to still feel passionate about what I was doing, but provided a safer route to a successful career. In many ways, marketing has reminded me a lot of psychology, and my favorite aspect of marketing is studying consumer buyer behavior and the decision making process of purchasing products and services. I have thoroughly enjoyed my marketing classes, and have had internships that make me excited for the career path I have chosen. I learned that it is okay to not have all the answers at 18 years old, and that changing my major has led me to bigger and better opportunities.

For once in my life, I am very glad that my parents were right and that I was wrong.

Comments