Humbled not Spoiled


Last semester I studied abroad in Florence, Italy, marking my first ever trip outside of the US. It goes without saying that there are plenty of thoughts and items of preparation leading up to such an experience, but for me, stereotypes are what stick in my head. Here's what I mean:

My decision to study abroad was born from a variety of reasons, but namely because I am often looking for a new adventure. I was told that my biggest regret of college would be not studying abroad by more people than I could count. As I began looking into it and more seriously considering it, I found myself talking to peers that either had already done a study abroad trip, or were planning to do one like me. In my conversations, there seemed to be an overarching theme of "Stephanie, you have to study abroad, it will be the biggest party of your life"; or, "Stephanie, when will you ever have the opportunity again to travel for 4 months with no responsibility?" Although my interest in studying abroad had never stemmed from these ideas, the stereotypes started to become my vision for my own study abroad experience. 

While I had countless conversations with people who shared the opportunity to study abroad, I also spoke with those who couldn't afford it, couldn't fit it in their schedule, or had no interest in that type of opportunity. What shocked me among these conversations was that many of my peers seemed to pose a little bit of judgment on my opportunity, thinking I was entitled and/or spoiled for being given this opportunity. Suddenly, what seemed like the coolest opportunity was turning into something that I was very unsure of. 

After four unforgettable months in Europe, I can only brag about the humility I felt along the way. Yes, I traveled for 4 months on my parents dime and yes, I experienced things I never knew I would have the opportunity to. But, among all of the exciting adventures and friends made, I experienced Italy's under-development, living with no air conditioning, hanging my clothes out the window to dry, putting euros in an artist's guitar case who I walked past every day on my way home from class. Among the beauty of the experience, I learned more about myself and about another culture than I ever would learn in a classroom. 



And in those moments where everything actually seemed pretty perfect, when I was paragliding through the Swiss Alps or sitting on the beach in Positano or riding in an elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I ALWAYS had a realization moment of "Wow, I am the luckiest girl in the world." For me, study abroad was not something I felt entitled to. It wasn't a huge party and it wasn't filled with no responsibility. I felt the responsibility to live and adjust to a completely different culture, to live under completely different conditions, to never waste a single moment. 

I really worried about what people said. I really questioned what my abroad experience would be. And for a time, I really felt like all I had gotten myself into was a semester of partying and lack of responsibility. I'm so glad I was wrong. 

Comments